Wednesday, August 18, 2010

hull.... hessel rd.....fishermen......where i come from

kingston upon hull is where I was born. well just outside in ferriby... considered the posh part of town. West of the city center. my dad and mum were born and bred in hull just off Hessel rd... which was the heart of the city. my Dad was born harrow rd, which is long gone, knocked down in the early the 80's.My mum was born and lived on Chomley st, which is still standing. My sister was born there too... placed in the bottom draw of the bedroom cabinet, lined with the 'news of the world' paper, so my mother says, which is a reason she has always love junk news. That by rights make me a true hull girl.
My dad as a cod fisherman.
my mum the wife of a cod fisherman, the daughter of a cod fisherman.
The daughter of a herring fisher woman.

the following images are not of my family, as i believe they were too poor to own a camera to document their lives.... these are pictures that show the lifestyle through others during the 70's as the hull fishing industry is closing....



No comments:

Post a Comment